Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sushi Wasabi

So, as my birthday gift, Gino treated me to sushi. He's been raaaaaaving about this place forever. He's always been telling me to go and such, but I've been always dragging my feet. I've had some bad sushi, so I was pretty reluctant to try raw fish at new places. However, since it's a gift, I can't refuse (since he's my gege).

OMG!! One word to describe the food there: orgasmic. I would do my "OH" face, but that wouldn't do it justice! This place is unbelievable. I think it might just beat Kirala (a great sushi place up in Berkeley)! One cannot tell that this place offers the finest and freshest sushi just by looking at the outside. Just by looking at the sign "Sushi Wasabi," you wouldn't want to eat there. Nothing about it screams "EAT HERE... I AM OOOOOH SOOOOO GOOD!!" The sign is simple, nothing fancy about it. On the door, there's a handwritten disclaimer sign stating that they only buy the freshest fish every morning from the fish market. You walk in and the seating area is small also. Katsu is the sushi chef and his wife is the waitress...and that's it. It's a homely place and the atmosphere is peaceful too. On the wall, there's another sign (framed, this time) saying if you eat at the sushi counter, you don't get to order; the chef will serve you whatever fish he has and thus is the true Japanese way of eating sushi.

So, among the variety of fishes that was served tonite included albacore tuna, big eye tuna, oysters, scallops with sweet baby maui onions, crab hand roll, spicy tuna roll, chopped toro, tako, salmon, red snapper, spanish mackerel, uni, unagi, and mung fish liver (which I didn't have, but was supposedly good). But I should mention that there's no menu, no listed price.


My favorite? They were all good…but I still love my UNI! Soft like butter cause it just melts in your mouth with a subtle taste of sweetness. YUUUUUUMMY!!

Thanks Gino for dinner!!!


I highly recommend the place, if you’re ever in the area. Their address:


Sushi Wasabi

14460 Newport Ave Ste F
Tustin, CA 92780-5637
(714) 505-3496

1 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fish. Not "fishes." I don't go kill deers for fun when hunting in the forest, or sheer sheeps to make beautiful wool clothing, do I? No. But yes. The sushis there is goods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home